Gone are the days, when physical presence of the doctors or medical consultants was mandatory to treat the patients. Thanks to the advent of Telemedicine, the medical information is now being exchanged from one site to another via electronic communications. Telemedicine includes a variety of applications, including video transfer, emails, smart phones, wireless tools and Internet messengers.
Telemedicine, who made a slow start initially, has picked up to get integrated into the operations of most hospitals, health care centers, private offices etc. Telemedicine is not a separate medical speciality. There is no difference between the services provided on site and through telemedicine. It just helps the patients at remote locations to avail proper medication and expert opinion through technology.
Here are the top 5 benefits of Telemedicine:
1. Telemedicine is not a new concept. It started 40 years ago, but gained momentum in recent years, thanks to technology advancement. It improves access to patients and allows physicians and health care facilities to expand their reach beyond offices.
2. Telemedicine reduces cost of healthcare. This is one of the prime reasons why this method was adopted in the first place. While reducing the cost, telemedicine also managed to increase efficiency through proper management of chronic diseases. It also reduced travel times and hospital stays.
3. Various studies have confirmed that quality of healthcare services have drastically improved, thanks to telemedicine. Telemedicine delivers a superior product with greater results in some key services such as mental health and ICU care.
4. Whenever there is an emergency and the patient needs attention at any place or any time, telemedicine plays the most important role to address that issue. That has brought a paradigm shift in the delivery of healthcare services in the U.S.
5. Patient satisfaction is the major aspect of any healthcare service. And, telemedicine has been able to tap this successfully. Many studies and surveys have confirmed that patients who avail these services, are happy and content with the facilities they get, reduce cost and save time.